The New Foreign Trade Strategy - "An Innovative Foreign Trade Policy for a Successful Austria"
The new foreign trade strategy (PDF, 714 KB) was adopted at the meeting of the Council of Ministers of 19 December 2018. It comprises seven chapters with 63 policy measures to further consolidate the competitive strength of Austria's foreign trade in the international arena and to further enhance the attractiveness of the country as a location for business. The strategy focuses on innovation and technology, digitalisation and emerging markets. The measures aim at lead enterprises and especially at SMEs and start-ups.
- Stronger Austrian presence in growth markets through appropriate orientation of Austria's foreign networks and strategic consolidation of support programmes for Austrian companies
- Assisting Austrian businesses, in particular SMEs, in utilizing digital distribution channels
- Upgrading the Austrian Business Agency ABA-Invest in Austria into a regional development (location) agency which also manages the recruitment of skilled workers
- Creation of a cooperation platform to set up networks linking SMEs and industrial enterprises in order to make it easier for start-ups and SMEs to get a foothold in foreign markets and obtain contracts in large-scale international projects
- Encouraging internationalization of the dual training system with special regard to the needs of Austrian companies on site as well as exporting the Austrian system of dual training schemes
- Further development of "go international" based on the recommendations of the current evaluation study with a view to simplifying instruments and combining measures
- Introduction of a meta portal for Austria's international web presence
The new foreign trade strategy will also become part of the continuation of the successful Internationalization Initiative 'go international'. Under the leadership of BMDW, BMEIA and WKO, an implementation roadmap will be prepared and implementation success will be continually evaluated. A platform ensures efficient monitoring of implementation progress.